Ski Mountaineering Skills
Dial in your skills for spring ski mountaineering season with this course for advanced ski tourers looking to build skills for big mountains. In this program we'll cover:
- Ski Mountaineering Gear
- Ice Axe Techniques including Self Arrest and Team Arrest (for Glacier Travel)
- Crampon Techniques
- Mountaineering efficiency including the Rest Step
- Descending techniques for mountaineering
- Basics of rope team travel
Prices are as shown in the sidebar menu.
7:30 am Meet your guide at the trailhead. This early start time will allow us to take advantage of frozen surface conditions and will help with learning fundamental cramponing skills.
Your guide will conduct a Trailhead Departure Check/Beacon Check then we’ll tour to an appropriate venue with terrain that provides excellent learning opportunities.
8:00 am From start to finish we’ll be explaining, demonstrating and coaching you while you practice the following skills:
- The Rest Step: the Foundation of Mountaineering and Ski Mountaineering.
- Types and pros and cons of each
- How to put them on
- Techniques: flat footing, duck step, pied a troisieme, front pointing, plunge stepping
- Ice Axes
- Types of axes and pros and cons of each
- Anatomy of the axe and how to hold it
- Ice Axe Arrest:
- Rope Team Arrest (to stop a partner who has fallen into a crevasse in glaciated terrain)
- Self Arrest (to stop yourself from falling)
- Rope Travel
- For glaciated terrain
- For steep technical terrain with a guide
- Skinning to Ski Crampons
- Ski Crampons or skinning to Boot Crampons
- Climbing/Cramponing to Skiing on steep terrain
- We’ll leave time to answer questions you may have about ski mountaineering and the various techniques at the end of the program
3:00 pm We will close the program after finishing the learning objectives of the course.
Add Equipment List here
Know Before You Go
Technical Difficulty ⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪
The skills we learn on this program require coordination and body awareness, but are not complicated.
Physical Difficulty ⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪
This is a skills day that requires moderate physical output. Depending on your efficiency and fitness it may feel with skills and . It requires efficiency with climbing technique and excellent endurance.
- Regular price
- Sale price
- Regular price
- Unit price
Adding product to your cart