Frog Lake Backcountry Ski Huts Video Tour
The interior of the Ted R Hut at the Frog Lake Huts complex in Truckee, CA near Castle Peak. Photo: Zeb Blais.
The Frog Lake Backcountry Ski Huts in Truckee are a paradigm shift for backcountry hut skiing in California. These are the first remote, backcountry huts to offer running water, flush toilets, propane stoves and a commercial kitchen to backcountry skiers and riders in California.
Take a look inside with our video tour! This video showcases the Albert M Rockwood Hut, one of the newly constructed backcountry ski huts at Frog Lake in Truckee, California. The Rockwood Hut has bunks for 8 people and has a long list of amenities that make it much more comfortable than other backcountry hut skiing options in the area, such as the Sierra Club Huts.
Amenities at each hut of the Frog Lake Huts in Truckee
- Running water
- Thermostat controlled propane heaters
- Flush Toilets
- Bunks with thick foam mattresses
- Tables in the bunk areas
- Solar Power for charging electronic devices, such as smartphones and Bluetooth speakers
Communal Amenities for the Frog Lake Huts at the Eschenback Backcountry House
- Commercial Kitchen, equipped with:
- Serving and mixing utensils
- Common spices and cooking oils
- Commercial stove top
- Commercial oven
- Communal Dining Area with dining tables and chairs
- Map Room for planning tours, etc
- Bunk area for mountain guides
Video tour of the Rockwood Hut
Please reach out with any questions on the Frog Lake Huts and backcountry skiing in the Truckee, North Lake Tahoe Area! We're happy to answer any questions you may have and can produce additional video content if we get enough requests. Happy Backcountry Skiing this season!
The Truckee Donner Land Trust built and manages the Frog Lake Huts in Truckee and their website has additional information about the complex.