Valkyr Lodge, British Columbia | Trip Info Page
Valkyr Lodge, British Columbia
Welcome to the Valkyr Lodge Trip Information Page!
This page serves as a reference for your trip and should help you plan your trip with us as well as provide us with the information that we need from you.
To start, please fill out our form:
- 6 private bedrooms.
- 5 with a double bed and twin bunk over.
- Room 4 has an extra twin bed.
- Room 6 has two twin bunk beds.
- Separate staff quarters.
- Indoor plumbing: hot and cold running water, shower and 2 toilets in the
- Large common room with comfy furniture, large hand-crafted dining table,
wood fired stove, and auxiliary propane heater in entry way/ drying room.
- Two decks and large picture windows in lodge
- All Blackbird BC Lodge trips, including Valkyr Lodge, are fully catered. All food for the week is provided, with the exception of specialty bars and energy chews - if these are important to you, make sure to bring your own supply! Our guides typically just roll with the lunch food provided as it is quite good!
- Food Restrictions - Make sure to advise the guides and lodge of any food restrictions you might have well before the trip! It is difficult for the cook to pivot the menu without significant notice before the trip.
Sauna, Showers and Bathrooms
- Sauna. The sauna hut has a change room, hot room and a shower room with toilet and sink.
- Showers. Showers are located in the sauna building.
- Bathrooms. There is indoor plumbing for liquid and solid human waste and running water and sinks inside for hand washing - cleanliness is key in this intimate environment!
- Drying Room. Valkyr Lodge has a dedicated drying room with a propane heater. It has racks for hanging jackets and other gear to dry.
- Dining Room. The lodge is equipped with a large room with comfortable chairs for relaxing, sharing meals and hanging out after a long day of skiing.
- Wi-Fi for a Fee. Valkyr lodge has satellite internet available for purchase. It may have very limited bandwidth and we recommend you take a week off from the information super-highway!
Typical Logistics for Valkyr Lodge
Flights Fly in and Out of Valkyr Lodge on Sundays. Please plan on being at the staging area at 8:00am!
The closest major town to Valkyr Lodge is Nakusp, BC.
- Fly into Kelowna International Airport (YLW). We recommend coming in a day or more early to make sure that travel delays don’t prevent you or your skis/board from making it into the lodge! We’ve had some very sleepless nights waiting for luggage on some of these trips!!
- Rent a car or arrange a shuttle. There are multiple options for rental cars at YLW. 4x4 or AWD is highly recommended. A shuttle to and from Valkyr can also be organized with Valkyr Lodge directly.
- Drive to Nakusp. It takes a little over 3 hours on good roads. Kelowna to Nakusp Directions.
- Drive to the Staging Area south of Burton, BC. This takes about 25 minutes on good roads. Directions from Nakusp to Staging Area (South of Burton)
- Have an awesome week at Valkyr Lodge! Fly back to the staging area.
- Drive to Kelowna Airport (YLW) or Hotel. This takes about 2.75 hours. It is possible to catch a plane out of YLW after 6pm, but it is very easy for delays to make this impossible. Plan accordingly with flights and hotels at Kelowna. Valkyr Lodge Staging to Kelowna Airport (YLW).
The Helicopter Staging Area. The staging area is 6 km from Beaton on the Fish River FSR. It takes about 2 hours to get from Revelstoke to Beaton, including the ferry ride from Shelter Bay to Galena. The normal exchange for Valkyr Lodge is 9 am PST time. You are responsible for your own transportation to the helicopter staging area.
Shuttle transportation. Valkyr Adventures offers a shuttle to and from Kelowna's YLW airport for an additional fee.
Dishes/Silverware - NOT NEEDED. The lodge is equipped with all of this, so no need to bring eating utensils.
Nakusp - Places of Interest
Kelowna - Recommended Hotels
Wildcat Helicopters Safety Briefing - YOU MUST WATCH BEFORE BOARDING THE HELI
Helicopter Staging Area Procedures - READ THIS - Weight Limits for Gear!
Valkyr Adventures Independent Guide Protocols (Guides Only)