We're getting fired up for some of soft new snow with winter storms on the horizon! But as they say, you gotta know before you go! We're hosting a live webinar to get you dialed in on using digital mapping tools to plan backcountry ski trips.
Our live webinar is all about how to plan a backcountry ski trip with our favorite software tool, Caltopo. We'll be live with Caltopo's Meghan Twohig and Blackbird Mountain Guides founder and IFMGA / American Mountain Guide, Zeb Blais, to deliver a 1-hour webinar on using Caltopo to use digital maps to plan trips.
The presentation will be focused on backcountry skiers and splitboarders with minimal digital mapping experience. The presentation will run approximately one hour and there will be time for questions and answers.
Topics covered will include:
- an overview of Caltopo digital mapping software
- Limitations of digital mapping
- Adding elements to maps
- Map Layers
How all of this applies to backcountry skiing and planning a trip using digital mapping tools:
- Using field observations to augment your maps & make good decisions
- Where to ski: how to find it on a map
- Ascent Routes
- Descent routes: ski fall line
- Incorporating Google Earth into backcountry ski trip planning
- Best map layers for backcountry skiing, including slope angle shading
- How to use Caltopo to find lines to ski through trees, vegetation
Details:What: Live webinar featuring presentations from Caltopo's Meghan Twohig and IFMGA/American Mountain Guide & Blackbird Mountain Guides Founder Zeb Blais on how to use Caltopo software as it applies to backcountry ski and snowboard terrain.
When: December 14, 2021 6:30pm PST
Where: Online (sign up via Zoom below)
Who: Anyone interested in learning more about how to plan backcountry ski and snowboard trips using Caltopo and Google Earth.
How Duration: The webinar will be approximately 1 hour, including time for questions and answers.